CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Brothers M

Minkus, Magnus, Marvin, and Merriwether McGhee were the infamous brothers M.  Wherever they managed to go, news of their madcap exploits preceded them.  They were each born on a Monday, in the merry month of May, and how that came about was more than anyone could say.  Miranda was their mother, and Marcus was their dad; their pet was a mutt named Magoo, the best dog a kid ever had.  Minkus and Magnus were born in Montana, and Marvin was born in Maine.  Massachusetts was meant to be the birthplace of Merriwether McGhee, but he was actually born on a plane.  (It was flying over Vermont, somewhere near Montpelier!)  They were mad about Motown music and movies and museums (and Magoo loved opera at the Met), but they had to stop going when their mom said they may not bring their pet.  They had many books and magazines and model planes and cars.  They also had a million marbles in some mustard jars.  They spent most vacations in Miami, or maybe in Mexico (Minkus and Magnus love Mexico best because it's where the monarch butterflies go).  One Monday evening meal, over meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Marvin said he wanted to buy a Manx cat.  The next morning, with his mad money, he bought one (named her Mayonnaise) and that was the end of that.  Magoo loved Mayonnaise and Mayonnaise loved Magoo, and everywhere the brothers M went, Magoo and Mayo went, too.  Minkus, Magnus, Marvin, and Merriwether McGhee were (along with Magoo and Mayo) the best of friends, and they were also family.


(This is part of a children's book I am in the process of writing.)      

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

my head is spinning. Will there be pictures in this book, and some spaces in between some of the text? Reading it out loud was a bit of a tongue twister, but it's fun.

Jessica said...

Kathie--that's great!

It reminds me some of dr. Suess--which is a compliment because I love him!

Do you do any illustrations? Or would you partner with someone for those?

Peaj said...

Markedly marvelous, masterfully made.

Will "Brothers M" let Kathie get paid?

Very cute, Kathie.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, guys! I appreciate your encouraging comments.

Reading it out loud is the best way, I think. It has a rhythm to it. I have 10 other letters, too...just 15 to go (yikes!!).

I do not illustrate, as a matter of fact. When I first started doing this, Page Hatcher did an illustration for me for the letter "S", and it is amazing, let me tell you. Unfortunately, as I have been researching getting published, the powers that be do not look too fondly on authors who say they have illustrations, too (unless you, the author, are a fabulous illustrator, as well). They want to use their own people. I just have to pray that God works everything out and it all comes together the way He wants, then I can't go wrong.

I hope to be paid, PJ! I think this could be one book, but I actually think it might work better as a series. When (I was going to say "if", but I want to stand in faith here) it gets picked up by a publisher I hope they will agree. That would be 26 books right off the bat, not a bad beginning! I also have 26 tongue-twisters, an idea for a board or picture book (with the text already written), and a couple poems/songs for children that could easily be made into board books or picture books. Those are just the things I have written for children. I also have my poetry and some devotionals. On my blog list are 2 links to devotional websites that have already featured some of my work (a poem-It's All About Perspective and a devotional-Get Out Of Your Comfy Chair). On September 8th, they will use another devotional of mine, Triumph of Light. Maybe you remember reading them? Both devotionals are on my blog. I also sent in the poem, Peace, that is on my blog. I don't know when that will come out. When they post the poems it is actually my voice reading the poem, so that is pretty cool!

Currently, I am being mentored by a published author who lives in Bear. I have been corresponding with him via e-mail. I met him at the Delaware Christian Writer's Conference I attended last spring. I am supposed to be writing a short proposal that I can send out to start getting business for myself. Since I have no experience and no writing credits to my name I am finding it a bit difficult to get started. Please be praying for me, guys, especially that God gives me the ability to write an interesting and honest proposal that will make publishers curious about me, in spite of my lack of experience. I would like to be able to send it to my mentor within the next 10 days (at the latest). He will then critique it, I'll fix it or polish it up, or whatever, then we can send it out.

Thanks again, my friends. Your feedback is important to me, but your prayers are essential. I want to do this right. Most especially, I want to be used by God through my writing, to accomplish His purpose. I want to use what gifts and abilities He has given me to bring glory and honor to Him, to draw people to Him.

Anonymous said...

Well, I wrote my short promo (I know I said "proposal" in my last comment, but I meant promo) and turned it into my mentor. I also sent him my resume and my children's book idea to look over. I am planning to send him some work I did when I was at DelTech. I am waiting for his response. Please keep praying. Thanks so much.

Jessica said...

this is exciting, Kathie! Please keep us posted--I can't wait to hear when (I will also stand in faith) your book(s) get picked up by a publisher!

Peaj said...

We knew her when...