CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Let everything Else Go

Sometimes you just have to let things go.  It is not always easy, certainly, but it is a necessity at times.  Our tendency is to want to hold on~be it material possessions, relationships, opinions, or beliefs~we don't like to be told to let go.  Maybe we feel entitled to what we have, especially in America!  Don't tell me I can't have something, do something, or say something...I know my "rights"!  


Even as Christians, this assertion of our rights runs rampant.  If I were to tell you that everything you have is a gift from the hand of a gracious and generous God, you would probably tell me you know that.  But if you were suddenly to lose it or have it taken away, it is highly likely you would at least ask, "Why?".

That question, "Why?", can be a dangerous thing.  It's another one of those things we believe we have a right to expect...as if God needed to answer to us.  Ask Job how that worked for him.

We know from the book of Job that horrible things happened to him, more horrible than most of us have experienced in a lifetime, in just a matter of days.  At the end of four chapters of God's side, Job never really does get an answer.  God's answer boils down to, "I am God, you are not, and that is all you need to know."

We should be glad we get to know that much.  Considering what we actually deserve, anything we get from God is an amazingly generous gift!  We should learn to accept it, accept Him, count it all joy, and let everything else go.  He is more than enough.      

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Kathie, I think a profound sense of entitlement is a major symptom of the ills of modern life and a huge detriment to our society. As a nation we are far too unappreciative. We definitely need to work on letting everything else go.

Anonymous said...

sorry kathie, that was me. I saw you at Jessica's show tonight, but you disappeared before I got to say hi.