CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 26, 2008

To Know Fully

"Then we shall see face to face...then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 

~1 Corinthians 13:12

I finally changed my "Scripture of the Moment" (that was some moment), to the verse you see above.  Well, somewhere else in this blog I warned you that I am queen of procrastination!  I am working on being more disciplined, but it hasn't fully caught on yet.  It does not help that I do not have the seemingly unlimited time I had during the summer, now that I am back to work.  What also does not help is the fact that work is leaving me fairly drained...physically, and somewhat emotionally, exhausted.  I have quite a challenging group of students, God bless them!  Actually, it is more the latter than the former.  I would have plenty of time to write if I didn't spend most of it in front of the television, but watching TV does not require as many brain cells as writing...and my brain cells are tired!  I have commented on other people's blogs, but that also seems easier than coming up with my own ideas and writing about them.  Somehow, though, I have got to break this chain of stress at work=exhaustion= excessive TV watching=lack of productivity=stress over my inactivity.  Enter today's post, which is not even meant to be about my lack of discipline.  Stay with me, faithful few, and read on.

I love the Scripture verse I chose to post today.  I love the promise it holds.  To one day see God face to face and truly know Him is something I desire deeply!  To behold His beauty, the brilliance of His countenance, and His majesty and splendor!  Can you imagine anything more wonderful?  I can.  What?  What could possibly be more wonderful than seeing the face of God?  Only one thing, really, and you probably guessed it already...it would be to know Him fully.  How awesome!  (In the very truest sense of that word, not in the way it is so often used now.)  To have full disclosure of God Most High!  No more wondering if I am understanding God correctly.  No more second-guessing.  No more doubting my ability to hear His voice.  I will know Him as He knows me.  Let me wrap my head around that one.  In what way does God know me?  Let me see...first of all, He created me.  Scripture tells me He knew me in my mother's womb, before I was even fully formed.  So, physically speaking, it would be safe to say that He knows me on a cellular, even a molecular level.  Scripture also tells me God knows the thoughts I think, as well as the intentions of my heart.  I don't fully know my own heart, but God knows it.  Also, I do not remember most of my past, but because God is outside of time and knows all, He knows everything I have forgotten.  I do not know what my future holds, but God knows that, too.  There is absolutely nothing about me that is hidden from Him, and this Scripture verse tells me that one day I will know Him as He knows me.  I will know Him fully and completely, in the same way He knows me!  What an amazingly generous and gracious God!  Oh, to know him fully!                                      

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy you are doing important work, and I'm sure the transition back to it every fall must be challenging. But I loved your post today, and I am one of those who can't wait to see to face of god, and fully know. I am always struggling with whether or not I have heard correctly, if I am doing what he wants. Though I certainly appreciate my time on earth, I can really identify with that scripture too.

Peaj said...

I want to see God too.

But what I find amazing about that verse is that the implication is that I am fully known and still loved. No sin is hidden from God; no secret agenda unknown. There is not even any self-delusion that he has not plumbed the depth of and still decided to love its holder.

I find this verse fearful, because it implies that not only will we know God fully, but ourselves as well. I will see all the messed up logic and rationalizations that I hold, and probably recognize with shame all the ideas that I thought were noble that were really just self serving. I don't really want to confront the terrible truth of who I really am.

But I have the assurance that He has already seen through all that, measured it, and decided to choose and love me anyway.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, s.a., I really appreciate your encouraging word. The transition back to school can be challenging, especially when you are something of a night owl, like me!

Anonymous said...

I thought about that, too, when I wrote this post, peaj. It IS amazing to be fully known by God...and still loved!! That may well be touched on another day, on another post. (I probably won't put it as well as you just did, but that's okay!) In any case, I was too struck by the prospect of knowing Him fully when I was considering this verse. I still am. Perhaps, that's another post, too.

Jessica said...

fist of all, lovely new layout!

And one of the most amazing things about love IS to be fully known, proverbial warts and all, and still fully loved...That is one thing that I find so beautiful about the marriage covenant, but even more so about our relationship with God. Because God is omniscient, then HE really knows what is up with us...And still loves us hard...Wow.

And Kathie--I know how it is to be a night-owl! Have you thought about setting some attainable goals--like posting every other day--or every 3rd day? Or writing a devotion once a week? Sometimes we can get overwhelmed without some specific goals to give us structure...But you've probably thought about all this already!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jess! Before you had changed your blog layout I had thought of changing mine and several times I looked over the different templates Blogger offers but never found anything I liked better than the one I already had. I had no idea there was any possibility other than those. When you changed yours, I thought I would give it a shot, too. It took me a while to find just the right one, but I think this one suits me, at least for now. I was pretty nervous about changing it, let me tell you (especially after it didn't work the first time I did it)! It made me delete my gadgets, so I had to put all of them back in again. With the new layout, I decided to move things just a bit, and I like it better. My quote from Mark Altrogee ("One Pure & Holy Passion") is all the way down at the bottom, but it looks really good there. I love the autumnal colors (autumn is my favorite time of the year, maybe because my birthday is in November)! Who knows, maybe I'll change the look every season, we'll see!

Thanks for the advice, too! I appreciate it. I have thought about it, I just have to do it. The thinking part is always easy, it's the doing part that is hard sometimes.